Sunday, October 23, 2011

Out in Chicago: History Museum Exhibit

Link to exhibit



After our reading of Gay New York this exhibit from the Chicago History Museum is of interest now that we're concentrating on that midwestern City.  The linked page includes photos of some items in the exhibit, both historical and contemporary.  These recall themes we have encountered before.  There is a photo from Bronzeville, Chicago's African-American neighborhood on the near southside, recalling the intersection of New York's "gay world" and Harlem.  The page also notes events including a walking tour of the Andersonville neighborhood, home to Ann Sather's Scandinavian restaurant and Women and Children First, a venerable feminist bookstore.  The first is a legacy of the neighborhood's history as a Scandinavian immigrant community; likely the second signals the influx of lesbian residents in the 1980s.

2 comments:

Enich said...

I thought I mentioned the out in Chicago exhibit in a previous blog post, but I guess I didn't! Mike and I and a few friends went to see it, it was really good.

It's so interesting to see an outside perspective on parts of Chicago that I'm already somewhat familiar with. And I had no idea about the feminist bookstore!

scott davidson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.