Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"Like" it on Facebook

The suggestion appears in so many places.  "Like us on Facebook."  Every posting (almost) offers the possibility to like what one has just read.  I find myself liking this, a bit to my surprise.  Why the positive response?

1)  Grammatical reason:  like is after all a verb.  I like that the word like is being used in a way close to what I take to be its central meaning, one that indicates approval, perhaps even affection.

2) Attitudinal reason: like indicates a positive response.  I like that I'm being offered the opportunity to express approval, perhaps even affection, without the corresponding negative options.  Of course I could type those in, but the default for response is "like."  Maybe this is a bit like the adage, "If you don't have something good to say, don't say anything."  Nonetheless, I like that I'm being encouraged to express my approval, delight, appreciation, or other positive responses.

NB: I do not, by this approval of liking, mean to suggest that there are no situations in which disapproval or protest is necessary; only that casual negative response is not healthy for individuals or conducive to community life.

No comments: