Saturday, July 14, 2012

Public Transportation provides freedom of movement

This morning each of the three people in my household had some reason to go to "The Cities."  Two had specific places to be and even some responsibilities in different parts of the metro and I just wanted "city air," even if it was going to be really hot air.  There was a book I wanted to buy and a 25% off coupon I wanted to use at the kitchen store, but I didn't have a schedule. 
So I caught a ride up with my son and a ride back with my husband and in between . . . I used an all day  (6 hour) MTC pass!  No looking for a parking spot.  No watching out for drivers less responsible than me.  Just wait a few minutes for the light rail or the bus and let someone else drive.  In the time allotted to me I wandered in the Mill City farmers market where I purchased a pound of Spanish grilling onions for later and a yummy pastry with spinach, pear and blue cheese that I ate immediately; I bought the book; I had brunch at the Local, sitting on Nicollet Mall; I walked through Loring Greenway, Loring Park, and the Sculpture Garden; I cooled off in the Walker Museum shop; I had peach and vanilla ice cream at Sebastian Joe's; and I used the coupon to acquire a special pitcher for infusing water with fruit and herb flavors.

Yes, I was restricted by the routes and the schedules of the MTC, but all in all I managed to accomplish quite a lot and I experienced the service as freeing and relaxing.  

No comments: