Wednesday, October 20, 2010

school lists, education, and values

In the last couple of weeks, alongside classes, I have been writing a piece about educational opportunities for Norwegian-American women. To do so I read about several schools, including some that no longer exist. And I returned to some of my older work. In an article published by Norwegian-American Historical Association I found my comment on some of the items a student would have brought with her to the Lutheran Ladies' Seminary in Red Wing, Minnesota. (The school closed in 1920 following a fire.)
  • a dictionary
  • a Bible
  • "a suit for drills in physical culture"
  • "a large apron to protect her cotton dresses during domestic science labs"
  • napkins and a napkin ring
The equipment is indicative of the sort of education this student would receive.

In addition to suggesting something about what one does, one's processions convey something about one's values.  Many AmCon students are surprised by how much they have in their rooms and begin to ask themselves, Why do I think I need this?  Or, what do I want this for? As Erik noticed, not everything in his room was necessary for survival, but much of it has a purpose.

Traveling offers us opportunities to reconsider what is needed both along the way and at home.  Here is challenge to pare down even at home: Six Items or Less  I'm certain that making do with six items of clothing for a week or a month would be an education.  Certainly one would learn something about a kind of freedom that comes from having enough, but not too much.

No comments: