Friday, November 12, 2010

books

What is the difference between Thomas Jefferson's love of books and contemporary infatuation with digital connectivity?  At least one significance difference that matters a great deal in my experience is this: each book I hold in my  hand is a distinct encounter with the material world.  I have a sensory experience of the book that includes how it appears to my eyes (color, size, shape, design and more), how it feels in my hands (size, weight, texture, etc.) , its aroma.  Even it the author is not in the room with me, the book imposes the reality that its author is a person and its ideas are embodied.
When I provide access to readings via a PDF, I mourn the opportunity to hold the book or journal in one's hands and the possibility that touching the paper will be a channel of interaction with the author as well as a transfer of information.  While I don't want to minimize the power of imagination which can transport one from 21st century Minnesota to 1st century Greece or 19th century India via a book or a on-line text, I also know that being in 21st century Greece with one's foot on the old Roman Road or in 21st century India surrounded by the aroma of jasmine stimulates the imagination and facilitates time travel.

No comments: