Monday, November 8, 2010

Picture Blog 4 : The Puritans

Will's Commonplace Blog: Picture Blog 4 : The Puritans: "The Puritans & The New World"

Thanks to Will for taking the scrap-book-y aspect of a common-place book to  heart!  I love the images he has posted for various (dense fact) topics we're considered so far.  Follow the link to this one and then enjoy the others as well.

I picked this one because it shows us that someone thought that a picture of a Puritan in a big hat would help sell something.  What?  We've read R. Greene on use of images of  Indian women to sell tobacco and other products.  That makes sense.  Indians were associated with tobacco.  Images of  indian women had both positive and negative symbolic power.  What, I wonder, is the symbolic power of this Puritan? 

1 comment:

L. DeAne Lagerquist said...

Thanks DeAne! I'm glad you like the pictures! It's a great way to help remember everything we've discussed throughout the semester. I did some research about the product this picture represents. I believe it is a logo for a packing house. I'm not sure if the logo represents any specific product that packing house sells, but I believe it represents the John S. Barnes, Inc. Packing Houses. Here is a link to a website I found about old logos and the products associated with them.

WR