Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How many steps removed?

Clara posted this photo of her friend at the Art Institute of Chicago, next to a Thomas Cole painting of Niagara Falls. 

This gave me another opportunity to think again about the differences between "in-person" and "on-line" because there are several layers of that here.  I am looking "on-line" at a person looking "in-person" at a painting of a place, which means that he is not there "in-person," although Thomas Cole may well have been there "in-person" in order to paint Niagara Falls.

So, how many steps am I away from the water?  And, how close can I come to it by using my eyes to travel from March 29, 2011 in the basement of Boe Chapel to February 2010 in Chicago to some other day in the 19th century in New York?  I won't get wet; I won't hear the sound; I won't smell the water. . . but I will see something I would not with out the mediation of computer, photography, and paint.

No comments: