Thursday, August 18, 2011

Small Town America . . . . from Beth!

 In the field across the road from my house the tassels on the corn are turning yellow: a sign that summer is growing short and fall will soon arrive.  Along with it, students back on the Hill for the second year of American Conversations.  Some of them are starting to post on their blogs and a few have begun sending me e-mails about "Remaking America."  These digital missives are stimulating my excitement for the return to the classroom with them and Mary Titus.  We'll pay lots of attention to cities--New York and Chicago and also to some rural and small town settings.

So ...... this post from Beth about her summer vacation in MN lake country is a fine preview.
Vining: Vining, Minnesota is the proud home of Karen Nyberg, astronaut; the Charles Nyberg Sculpture Park and the annual "watermelon days" fe...


another entry in the sculpture park  next to the Big Foot gas station.













2 comments:

Enich said...

As someone who's grown up in the city all his life, I'm absolutely thrilled to go into this semester. Spending a good time on cities (which to me just seem like such an American symbol of growth in such a short amount of time) will be interesting coming from our background discussing small religious communities, voluntary associations, and transcendental movements.

Beth Dvorak said...

I have to admit, I'm absolutely flabbergasted that you've visited Vining. It's utterly astounding.
That being said, I'm very excited to discuss small town life and transcendental movements this semester (especially since one of my English courses is entitled: Romanticism, Transcendentalism and Rock Music). And, of course, as Enich said, it'll be interesting considering our collective backgrounds.