Saturday, February 11, 2012

happiness: public sightings, # 1-3

I should have used the camera in my phone to capture these three sightings of happiness, the word, in my travel to and from Chicago yesterday.  Maybe I'll start doing that in the days to come.  For now, a list.
1) Some sort of sign at Caribou Coffee at the top of the G terminal.  It seemed to link happiness to coffee.  If I'm honest I had a fleeting experience of happiness when I realized that I did have time to get a latte and make it to my 6:50 a.m. flight.  Thanks to light traffic and the "expert traveler" line at security I made it from my driveway to my seat on the plane, latte in hand, in 65 minutes!

2) The woman next to me on the plane was reading the Harvard Business Review.  The cover story was titled "The Value of Happiness."  She was a pleasant women who was a bit nervous that I might spill my coffee on her.  That did not happen and we were both happy that it did not.

3) In the gate, waiting for my flight home I noticed a woman with a huge tote bag, printed with lots of words in a sort of patchwork arrangement.  Among them, "The Pursuit of Happiness."
But, if I'd taken a picture of what gave me happiness in the day I think it would not have been the darling shoes I got for a bargain, the pretty good Indian food I had for lunch, the convenience of taking the El from Midway to the Loop.  All those are good things.  So was the work we did at the ACM office.  Nonetheless, my photo of happiness yesterday would be of my friend Ingrid who picked me up in the midst of a snow fall so that we could squeeze in 90 minutes of conversation between the end of my meeting and my flight. 

No comments: