Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Why read?

This from NPR's books news feed:
  "You should never read just for ‘enjoyment.’ Read to make yourself smarter! Less judgmental. More apt to understand your friends’ insane behavior, or better yet, your own. Pick ‘hard books.’ Ones you have to concentrate on while reading. And for god’s sake, don’t let me ever hear you say, ‘I can’t read fiction. I only have time for the truth.’ Fiction is the truth, fool!” 
~ John Waters in Role Models
Yes!  Good advise that I endorse and try to follow, at least I try to follow the positive advise.  I admit that I also read for enjoyment, so perhaps the key word is JUST.  Don't read only for that reason.  Pick books that offer enjoyment AND make you smarter or less judgmental or more wise about what is true.

No comments: