Sunday, April 17, 2011

a little boasting about my students

Yesterday I was part of a panel on the humanities at St. Olaf as part of admitted student days.  My appointed task, of course, to talk about the study of religion.  I did that willingly, making points about the importance of the human impulse to find and make meaning, the value of learning both about and from religion, the realities of BTS requirements and the opportunities for additional study, and just what I think we mean by theological literacy in the early 21st century.

And, I managed to also talk about the importance of the liberal arts as a connected, complex approach to learning that is so well illustrated by the work AmCon students do both in class and in their blogs.  Among the several benefits we have reaped from those blogs, I am especially grateful for the window they have provided me on the students' connective thought as they comment on the echoes between Am Con and other aspects of their education and lives.  This informed reflectiveness is a habit of mind that will serve them, and their world, well in years to come.

No comments: