Thursday, May 5, 2011

Anticipating My Antonia and 201

Next fall I'll be joined for AmCon 201 by my dear friend Mary Titus and we will read, among other works, Willa Cather's My Antonia, so this NPR story is a little foretaste of what is to come.  NPR on Cather 

"My Antonia reflects not just a particular period of time in America's adolescence, but if you happened to relish it when you were young, experiencing it again, from a more seasoned perspective, might also shed light on your own journey and bring into focus the Antonias and Jim Burdens who have influenced you along the way."
The notion that the book is from "America's adolescence" is provocative today as we also wonder about what life stage the nation is in.  Shall we think of  9/11 as the end of a sort of extended childhood innocence as we came up against the very real truth that not everyone loves us as much as Alexis did?   Is the life cycle still a useful metaphor?

No comments: