Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pronouns and identity groups.

Yesterday we touched briefly on the statement in the article on ethnicity that asserted the importance of a sense of "we."  Since then I've been musing on the difference between the pronouns "we" and "us."

Seems like "us" often implies a "them" in contrast or even conflict.  Thus I might be part of "us," but I might also be "them."  Does that suggest that these groups might be constructed from the out-side, even that I might be assigned to a group that I don't think I belong to, or even that I don't want to belong to?

Where this came from
And is it so that "we" does not have that same contrasting word?  And does that suggest that we is only defined by those who are part of the group?  And is that better?  Does it also allow that some are excluded who might want to be included?

No comments: